Sunday, March 13, 2011

Not Without the Cross - Matthew 17


Read Matthew 17:1-13.

    OK.  Let me set the scene for you. 
For me, it all started one day when my brother Andrew and I were out fishing.  We see this young preacher named Jesus come walking down the shore.  Andrew and I start talking about him.  He’s been making quite a stir, preaching “Repent, for the Kingdom of heaven is near.”  Something about him just makes sense. 
    Well, lo and behold, when he gets close to where we were fishing, he gets our attention and says, “Hey, Peter, Andrew, come follow me.  I’ll make you fishers of men.”  I’m not sure I can explain why, but Andrew and I both knew we had to go with him.  It was like our life was changing right that moment.  We left our boats, the nets, everything and just followed this traveling preacher. 
    Pretty soon, Jesus wasn’t just preaching.  He was healing people.  He was healing people left and right.  He was preaching and healing, healing and preaching.  He was preaching what we later called “the good news of the kingdom,” and people were bringing him all kinds of sick people to get healed (Mt. 4).
Jesus even healed my mother-in-law when he came over to my place for a visit.  She got up and made him cookies (Mt. 8:14-15).
We still weren’t really sure who Jesus was.  He was obviously a gifted preacher and a faith-healer.  No one around here had ever heard teaching that cut to the heart like his, and nobody sure ever saw anyone heal people like he did.  Jesus was obviously blessed by God to do great things.  He had our attention.  We believed in him – well, sort of.

To continue reading this post, click here.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment